Sunday, May 30, 2004

White Noise, etc.

Great Recent Reads

***** White Noise, Don Delillo
**** The Whore's Child and Other Stories, Richard Russo
**** Naked, David Sedaris
**** Reservation Blues, Sherman Alexie

And prior to those:
***** The Collector of Hearts, Joyce Carol Oates

some short stories and selections from:
The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven, Sherman Alexie
Close Range, Annie Proulx
Poets on Painters, McClatchy
And:
"The Case of Amontillado" Edgar Allen Poe
"Bartleby The Scrivener" Herman Melville
"Araby" and "Portrait of an Artist as a Young May" and "Clay" James Joyce
"Barn Burning" William Faulkner
"A Clean, Well-Lighted Place" Ernest Hemingway
"Zaabalawi" Naguib Mahfouz
"A Good Man is Hard to Find" Flannery O'Connor
"A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings" Marquez
"What We Talk About When We Talk About Love" Raymond Carver
"Happy Endings" Margaret Atwood
"The Management of Grief" Bharati Mukherjee
"The Red Convertible" Louise Erdrich

***** "Mimsy Were The Borogoves" Lewis Padgett
"N Day" Philip Latham

These last two were in a book I found called "A Treasury of Science Fiction" And let me say a word or two here about THAT.
"Mimsy Were The Borogoves" by Lewis Padgett is the best thing I have read in years. A remarkable short stories that takes us into the hither-to unknown secret realm of Lewis Caroll.

... and prior to that:

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

And prior to that I read everything in the Terry Brooks "A Knight of the Word" series. (Three or four books, I can't remember, but it's great stuff. I love Terry Brooks.)


The Legend:
***** = this book is great, if you like my stuff you'll like it.
**** = a really cool read, but I don't write like this
*** = an okay book, but I probably won't read it again
** = an okay book, but I probably won't read anything else by the author
* = don't bother...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home